My Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather (Minnie and William Wilkinson) visited their home town of Stoke-on-trent, England in the Summer/Fall of 1948.
Here is letter they sent to my Grandfather, Frank Wilkinson
A few notables from the letter:
- This appears to be the first trip they made back after leaving England in 1916.
- They were traveling with someone named “Cissie” I think I remember my Grandfather mentioning this person, but I am not sure who it is.
- Apparently “Cissie” is not coming back with them. She is going to marry a “man who lives in Blackpool”.
- Minnie’s cousins wanted to have the newspaper come over and take pictures of them. Apparently there visit was some kind of big event. I would imagine that in that time, people didn’t often leave Longton.
- She mentions how expensive things are there. During this time, England was still under fairly strict rationing. Minine says that everything was a “shocking price”
- They spent a few days at Rudyard Lake.
Here is Google Street View of the street where they were staying. note: Longton is an area of Stoke-on-Trent, England.